Tuesday, October 13, 2009

We're having a "Celebrate Independents" Day party on Saturday October 17th. Together with independent bookstores across the country we'll be tooting our horn about all the things that make us important in the age of giants, more, higher and deeper, etc.

The Canadian Booksellers Association solicited the views of some prominent Canadian writers on why, indeed, independents matter and I love what Steven Heighton had to say: "I revere and celebrate independents because they are about literature, not merchandising, and hence stand in spiritual opposition to the times - much like the best of the books they carry." http://www.stevenheighton.com

It reminds me of what a customer (and now friend) said not long after we opened. Elizabeth asked if we (Andre and I) had been in retail before. When I replied, "no" she said "so that's why you're doing such a good job." No disrespect to retailers intended but of course what she meant was - as Heighton put it - is that she could see that we were first and foremost about reading.

On Saturday we are hosting a number of great authors, all with Owen Sound connections.

From 11 a.m. to noon JOHN MOSS, author of Still Waters and Grave Doubts, will be in the store to chat with readers and to sign copies of his books. Until lately I've been kind of a snob about crime writing. I was labouring under the misapprehension that work in the genre was too formulaic. Then, during the summer I read Old City Hall and was pleasantly surprised. I am now reading Moss's Grave Doubts and am even more impressed.

Grave Doubts opens with the discovery of the mummified remains of two entwined lovers - minus heads - and we move rapidly from a remote and gothic Heathcliff and Catherine anthropological inquiry to a much more sinister crime scenario. That's all I'll say about the plot - but what makes me really happy as a reader is that the detectives, Morgan and Quin, are actually interesting - really interesting - people. I want to know what they think and what they are going to do next. I suspect this may say more about John Moss than about your average detective and as he's the writer this is no doubt a good thing. There, I've just declared my prejudices.

At 12 noon two writers - Eric Zweig and Barbara Hehner who moved to Owen Sound a couple of years ago - will be presiding in our window space.

ERIC ZWEIG has numerous sports books, mostly non-fiction for young readers, to his credit. What I want to rave about here, however, is his recent fiction title, Fever Season. I've just read it and I have high expectations of kids' fiction. If it doesn't interest and engage me as an adult reader then I figure it's probably going to have the same effect on the average child reader.
Fever Season
is the story of growing up in Montreal in the early 1900s and it is packed with historical details but not in a pedantic way. Zweig weaves in the zeitgeist so effortlessly you'd swear he was there or better still - by the time you finish the book - that you'd been there. The main character, David, faces many issues including how to develop a relationship with his remote father, how to face bullying, as well as, how to incorporate what his mother has taught him as he becomes a man. Ultimately, David is left alone in the world as a result of the first world war and the "spanish" flu of 1919. In the second half of the novel he sets out on an eventful train trip across the young Canada with the Montreal Canadiens that makes even a non-hockey person like me care about hockey.

BARBARA HEHNER, also a consummate historical writer, will be signing Desert Hawk and Tunnel King, two excellent stories about real Canadians who served with exceptional valour during World War II. The other title Barbara will be signing is The Spirit of Canada: Canada's Story in Legend, Fiction, Poems and Songs. I love this collection. Great for the those little 'becoming Canadians'.

At 1:00 yours truly will sit down 'in the window' together with fellow-contributor to Every Second Thursday, Danuta Valleau, to commune with any would be short-story readers or indeed short-story writers about how we went about compiling this little collection. We'll also sign copies, chat about writing, writing groups, other good reading, weather, wine, etc.

At 2:00 p.m. come along and chat with DENNIS WHITE of nearby Wiarton who has written a trilogy of mysteries with local settings. Dennis has been hand-selling the latest offering The Chicheemaun Ghost all summer long, where else but aboard The Chicheemaun during sailings between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but noted with interest Andrew Armitage's review in The Sun Times recently. He said White was giving local mystery writer Richard Thomas a run for his money and Thomas has a dedicated local posse of fans. He also used words like "a hoot" and "a treat".

While we've got this great lineup of talent on hand we'll be having draws every hour on the hour soliciting your feedback on things like

- what do you love most about The Downtown Bookstore
- what's the best book that you've ever bought at The Downtown Bookstore

and more stuff like that. Don't worry, no right or wrong answer. None of Andre's hard quizzes that in the past have had people running home to do research.

We'll also being having a sale. Each hour 20% off a different section of the store.

Children and young adult books from 9:00 to 10:00;
History and Biography from 10:00 to 11.00;
Reference, Arts & Culture from 11:00 to noon;
Poetry from noon to 1:00;
Literary fiction from 1:00 to 2:00;
General and genre fiction from 2:00 to 3:00;
Environment, Nature and Science from 3:00 to 4:00;
Cookbooks from 4:00 to 5:00. (How's that for timing? You can rush right home and whip up something fabulous. )

Did you know we have the biggest poetry section of any bookstore for 100 miles?

Okay, so I know that was probably way too long winded for a post. If you're still with me, then post a comment. But bear in mind it will only encourage me.

One draw exclusive to blog readers. Just ask for your ballot slip.

10 comments:

Francesca said...

The best book: The Zombie Survival Guide

Bought it for my daughter who had a blast reading it while in high school and now, while watching Zombie movies, discusses what they are doing right or wrong, in surviving a Zombie attack.

Unknown said...

I am absolutely sure that you have more than two friends. So put me down for number 3. Your store is great! I love the low key atmosphere and the wonderful teas and coffees. Joyce McDonald a.k.a Friend #3

Janet Iles said...

I heard Dennis White being interviewed on the radio the other day, it sounds like his books would be great to read.

Joan Beecroft said...

OK I'll settle for 4th on your friend list! Books, teas and coffees, and the way you support the local arts scene makes your place special!
Joan Beecroft

Eric Zweig said...

I hear that Eric Zweig is a brilliant genius!
People should definitely come to see him and Barbara and buy their books!!
(And he'd be happy to win an awesome cookbook too.)

Unknown said...

I love that my son and I can just sit and read and find the perfect book for a rainy day, or just because! You have a wonderful children's section we can't make it out with at least one new book!

Ms. S said...

Oh, Andre and Hazel...so many books, such little time. I'm looking forward to filling my daughter's bookshelves with fantastic stories from the Downtown. I have to make sure my bank account is ready for a trip there - what perfect timing to have a sale this weekend!! See you there!

Lynda said...

Love what you're doing tomorrow and I plan to be there - but please, no more cookbooks for me! Well, maybe just one.

Heather Murray said...

Well here's hoping I still count as a friend of the Downtown bookstore !!:-) I have enjoyed taking a break from my workday to sit down and partake in your fabulous coffee..perusing too many wonderful books ..having a fabulous time chatting and sharing with book club members in your cozy setting...having my art displayed on your walls...and appreciating the warm and personal welcomes from the proprieters..Andre and Hazel
Thanks for adding to the cultural enrichment of this vibrant community!!

Kathy said...

I am completely in love with Downtown! You have themotet incredible and well thought out selection. I could spend days just wandering and reading jacket covers. And reading your recommendations...it's all just cozy and perfect.

We will do our best to be there - sounds like it will be a great day!